This section contains reviews and information about equipment following use of it in the field and in the studio by individual members.
We hope it will become a useful resource for anyone new to the field of recording wildlife sounds and unsure what equipment is available and suitable, as well as for those updating their systems.
An Introduction to Wildlife Sound Recording - 1st Revision May 2001 This guide was written in 2001, since then equipment (and prices) have changed markedly. Never-the-less the basic information about how to approach wildlife sound recording remains valid and the booklet may be a useful starting point as well as supplementing Richard Mudhar's much more recent on-line article "Getting started in wildlife sound recording"
- newcomer's guide to wildlife sound recording - what you need to get started with a modest budget
- Parabolic Stereo - a study by Ron Ward of stereo recording methods using a parabolic dish/reflector
- MS with reflector - a versatile two for the price of one stereo microphone rig
- Do the "numbers" add up to a Good Recording - a reminder that there is more than bit depth and sampling rate from Nagra News, reprinted by kind permission of Nagra
- Edirol R09HR SD card recorder (2009)
- Fostex FR2LE CF card recorder (2007)
- Nagra Ares-ML solid state recorder (2010)
- Nagra Ares-MII recorder (2008)
- Nagra Ares PII Flashcard recorder (2006)
- Nagra BB+ CF card recorder (2005)
- Nagra SD solid state recorder (2011)
- Olympus LS10 SD card recorder (2008)
- Sony MZ-RH1 HiMD Recorder (2007)
- Sound Devices 722 CF card Digital Audio Recorder (2007)
- Tascam HD-P2 CF card recorder (2008)
- Zoom H4 Digital SD card recorder (2008)
- Zoom H4n SD card recorder (2009)
- Zoom H2 Digital SD card recorder (2008)
- DIY Microphone Construction - some low-cost ideas for practical beginners.
- Low-cost ultrasonic recording - exploring the world above human hearing
- Sound Devices 302 Mixer
The inclusion of equipment in these pages is based on an individual's comments and experiences and is not an endorsement of any specific piece of equipment by The Wildlife Sound Recording Society.
The year indicated in brackets is the date of the review.