Membership to the Society
Membership to the Society is open to all, young and old, whether or not you actively record wildlife sounds.
A Sound Magazine, produced on CD each quarter, containing many recordings of outstanding quality made by members from around the world. Guidance on recording techniques and comparisons of equipment are often included.
• The opportunity to join fellow members at field meetings and technical workshops. These benefit the novice as well as the experienced recordist. Field meetings are held each spring and winter in areas chosen for their sound recording potential, and are an opportunity to learn, record, experiment and exchange ideas with other Society members. Technical Workshops are held every two or three years to give practical assistance in the use of equipment, and techniques to record and analyse natural sounds. Young recordists are particularly welcome and the Society is very interested in helping groups of young people associated with other organisations.
• A high quality Journal; Wildlife Sound, is issued twice a year, containing articles on natural history, the nature, analysis and applications of wildlife sound, and equipment and techniques for wildlife sound recording – and much, much more.
• An informative website with a members section and interactive forum for those answers to questions you always wanted to ask.
• Newsletters containing regular updates on forthcoming events and activities.
• Competitions where members can enter recordings in several classes. The winning entries in each class are played on Members’ Day.
• Our Members’ Day. This includes the formality of the AGM and is a well-supported social occasion. It gives a further opportunity to obtain advice, share experiences and buy and sell members’ equipment. We are a society renowned for its welcome to new members. We strive to help all who request assistance to enable them to obtain maximum pleasure and benefit from the recording, or the study of, natural sounds. Beginners and those partially sighted or unsighted are especially welcome.
Join us - you’ll be glad you did.
Membership fees paid by new members joining before September 1st cover the current year only. New members joining on or after September 1st benefit from membership which lasts until the end of the following year.
Click below if you would like to renew your WSRS Subscription online (you will need to login)
For new applications, click on the button below to subscribe online, or fill in the application form below.
|Type of Subscription||
|Individual Member UK||
|Family Membership UK||
|Individual Member (Mainland EU)||
|Family Membership (Mainland EU)||
|Individual Member (Rest of the World)||
|Family Membership (Rest of the World)||
|Family Membership International e-member*||
|Associate Group Member UK||
|Associate Group Member (Mainland Europe)||
|Associate Group Member (Rest of the World)||
* If you click this tab you WILL NOT receive a copy of the Journal by post but you will have on-line access to it through the Members’ area of the website.
Payments by cheque should be in pounds sterling, drawn against a bank having clearing arrangements with a UK clearing bank. All other cheques should include an additional sum of £6 to cover bank handling charges.
Request for information
Join the Wildlife Sound Recording Society Online
The Society is mindful of the Data Protection Act and acts responsibly to comply with this and all other legislation which may affect the operation of the Society from time to time. Personal information you release to the Society will only be used internally by the Society and will not be passed on to third parties with the following exceptions.
- For data management reasons, data may be stored remotely using a secure on-line system
- e-mail addresses are released to our third-party web services provider solely for the purpose of distributing WSRS correspondence to members electronically.
- Contact details including as many of the following as are available are, unless otherwise requested by members, included in the WSRS List of Members which is produced every three years: name, postal address, telephone number, e-mail address and personal website address. If there is any item of your contact details that you do not want included in the List of Members please embolden the item in the details below. To date, no-one has declined to have their details included in the List of Members but, if you do elect not to have all your details included in the List of Members please note we will need to have at least your postal address on record so that WSRS correspondence, the Journal: “Wildlife Sound” and CDs can be sent to you.